[Insight-users] Which Kernel transform to use with Point Set Registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Feb 17 18:54:48 EST 2010

Hi Aya,

Do you need a Deformable Transform ?

Typically you should start a point set to point set registration
by just using a Rigid Transform.  For example by using
ICP (iterative closest points), as described in the examples:

Insight/Examples/Registration/
    IterativeClosestPoint1.cxx
    IterativeClosestPoint2.cxx
    IterativeClosestPoint3.cxx

but..

Should you really need to use KernelTransforms, please note
that they will require you to provide point correspondences.

That is, you should know what point of the FixedCollection of
points, correspond to what point of the MovingCollection of
points.

If you have such correspondences, then you could use any
of the following KernelTransforms:

       itkThinPlateSplineKernelTransform.h
       itkThinPlateR2LogRSplineKernelTransform.h
       itkElasticBodySplineKernelTransform.h
       itkElasticBodyReciprocalSplineKernelTransform.h
       itkVolumeSplineKernelTransform.h