[Insight-users] Deformable registration using FEM: Visualize Mesh

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Feb 23 17:23:55 EST 2010

Hi Steve,

Option (A)

The original FEM code in ITK has a compile flag:

          FEM_BUILD_VISUALIZATION

but, given that Visualization was not in the scope of
ITK, this code has probably never been exercised.    :-(

Option (B)

You could use the filters that overlap a grid on an
image, and resample that grid image through the
deformation field computed by the FEM registration
method.

See
             Insight/Code/Review/
                           itkGridImageSource.h

and its explanation in the Insight Journal paper

            "Gridding Graphic Graticules"
            Tustison N., Avants B., Gee J.
            University of Pennsylvania
            http://hdl.handle.net/1926/475
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/140

-----

Regarding the process of creating a customized
Mesh:

        We don't have such functionality in ITK.

Mesh Generation is outside of the scope of ITK.

You will find very useful to look at:

http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/NA-MIC_NCBC_Collaboration:Automated_FE_Mesh_Development

as a possible solution.

This is an Open Source application based
on ITK and VTK