[Insight-users] Fwd: A challenge to all Windows users

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Jan 3 15:56:18 EST 2010

Hi URI,

Congratulations in your success building ITK with MinGW,

and Thanks a lot to all the ITK users who lent a hand here...
that was a great example of Open Source community !.

--

Now that you are building examples, please not that they
are intended to be run from the command line prompt.

None of the examples provide a GUI, nor flashy windows
and visualizations.

You will configure them with CMake, compile them by
calling "make", and then you will find executables that
you will invoke directly from the command line.

For the case of the HelloWorld example, you simply
will use the command:

                        ./HelloWorld.exe

and you should get as response a message printed
in your MinGW shell:

                   "ITK Hello World !"

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:39 AM, URI <zallen at wheelinghospital.com> wrote:

> This was exactly the problem, now it's working.  I was also able to configure
> ITK with Visual Studio Express with no problems.
>
> Now I'm faced with a new challenge - how do I make it work from here?  I
> have a folder called "Examples" that is full of C++, PY, and TCL files, but
> I'm not sure what to do with any of them.
>
> I tried following the Linux instructions
> (http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-I.pdf) starting with
> Step 6, but I got stuck on Step 7 because after running CMake on my new
> HelloWorld directory I do not have a HelloWorld.dsw file.
>
> I also tried following the instructions in the "ITK Software Guide"
> (http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf) starting at the top of page 17,
> which reads:
>
> "Under Windows you can run CMakeSetup and provide your newly created
> directory as
> being both the source directory and the binary directory for your new
> project (i.e., an in-source
> build). Then CMake will require you to provide the path to the binary
> directory where ITK was
> built."
>
> I created a HelloWorld directory and copied the two files from the
> Examples/Installation folder, then I set CMake to point to my newly created
> directory for both the source and bin directory, but it never asked me for
> the path to the binary directory where ITK was built.  It still configured
> though, and now I have several files in my HelloWorld directory, but I don't
> know what to do with them.  I tried opening the VC++ Project files in VS
> Express and compiling them, but I keep getting errors.
>
> Can someone again provide specific step-by-step instructions on what to do
> after building ITK and hitting the "Generate" button in CMake?
>

> John Drescher-2 wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 9:18 AM, URI <zallen at wheelinghospital.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, the closest things I have in C:\MinGW\bin are:
>>>
>>> mingw32-c++
>>> mingw32-g++
>>> mingw32-gcc