[Insight-users] Possible misfeature in debian insighttoolkit package

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 7 19:32:23 EST 2010

While debugging a build problem on Gentoo I read through Debian's build
config [1], for reference.  I noticed the following comment there:

"""
+  * Python-Numarray is removed from Debian.
+    - CMakeCache.txt.debian: Remove ITK_USE_PYTHON_NUMARRAY=ON.
+    - rules: Remove PYTHON_NUMARRAY_INCLUDE_DIR from CMakeCache.txt.
+    - control.in: Remove build-depend on python-numarray.
"""

I believe this is a misunderstanding.  I think the ITK_USE_PYTHON_NUMARRAY
flag triggers an autodetection step encoded in

InsightToolkit-3.16.0/Wrapping/WrapITK/ExternalProjects/PyBuffer/FindNUMARRAY.cmake

That script clearly attempts to detect Numeric, Numarray, or Numpy, and
will use any of them (according to some order of preference).  In other
words, the ITK_USE_PYTHON_NUMARRAY is now somewhat confusingly named.  My
suspicion is informed by the WrapITK homepage [2], which
specifically lists NumPy as a dependency.

If I am correct, the Debian packages should probably continue to enable
ITK_USE_PYTHON_NUMARRAY, but should depend on numpy.

--Ben

[1]
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/insighttoolkit/insighttoolkit_3.16.0-1.diff.gz
[2] http://code.google.com/p/wrapitk/