[Insight-users] rt struct formation

Mark Roden mmroden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:16:01 EST 2010

Hi all,

I've been trying to use the code posted here:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/316

After having done some of my own segmentations.  However, I didn't use
ITK for the segmentation code, I used CImg.  Rather than rewrite the
segmentation code in ITK, I was wondering if there was a way to adapt
that code to use the binary image output I have in my results.

So, I'll have a 3D volume, and on each slice, there may or may not be
any pixels associated with the mask (for the sake of argument, they're
'1' and the background is '0').  The RTStruct code as it stands
assumes that 'contours' are used; how can I convert this binary mask
into a contour usable by the exporter?

Is something like this:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/217

what I need?  On first approximation, it isn't, because the
documentation in that code does not contain binary images, but instead
grayscale images, and around the highest intensity regions a white
boundary is drawn.  Is that boundary all that I'll need for the
exporter?  Is the white boundary what ITK calls a 'contour', rather
than a set of verteces in image space (ie, that are in the form of (x,
y, z))?  I ask because the ITK documentation suggests that a contour
is just this boundary region, while the DICOM standard states that a
contour is a list of verteces.

Thanks for any help,
Mark