[Insight-users] Testing GPU-based Median Filters

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:57:00 EST 2010

Hi,

Can you provide any examples of how the factory mechanism works with
filter classes? I'm familiar with the IO factories but haven't dealt
with anything like factories for standard filter classes.

Also, as far as kernel size goes, I suspect large sizes aren't seen as
useful because most implementations get too slow as the size grows.
Having access to versions that don't depend on kernel size can open up
many new options.

e.g. very large (111x111) robust smoother based on a median filter for
background intensity estimation in 2kx2k microscopy images. A
histogram based, separable kernel can run fast (~2 seconds). The
alternative is to mess around with resampling etc. Note that the
separability is an approximation, so this is a smoother, not a 2D
median operation.