[Insight-users] [Insight-developers] Replacing Sparse Matrix Linear Solver : due to Licensing issues

Arnaud Gelas arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Sun Jan 31 16:28:03 EST 2010

Hi Luis,

A short term solution would be to replace (if that possible) the code
for solving sparse linear system with existing sparse direct solution
from VNL (vnl_sparse_lu). Note that the mesh parameterization can
easily change to use vnl_sparse_lu by default.
Is vnl_sparse_lu  ok (in terms of license)?
Can Code/Numerics/FEM/itkFEMLinearSystemWrapperVNL.h use vnl_sparse_lu
instead?

A longer term solution would be to start using specialized sparse
libraries (which are more efficient than vnl for these problems).
Here, I cite some of them
  * SuiteSparse (LGPL): the most complete (and as far as I know the
most efficient) solution http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse/
  * TAUCS (MIT License): sparse direct solver http://code.google.com/p/taucs/
  * SuperLU (License): LU decomposition http://crd.lbl.gov/~xiaoye/SuperLU/

Arnaud