[Insight-users] Mesh generation

Vincent Magnotta vincent-magnotta at uiowa.edu
Mon Jul 12 09:51:38 EDT 2010

Yasser,

I would suggest the following steps. Some of these are from the 3D Slicer
package. First, there is a module in Slicer called SkullStripper. This
should be a pretty good estimate of the brain. Next you can either use the
EM segmentation module in Slicer or you could write your own tissue
classification program. For example the K-means segmentation is ITK works
pretty well for a quick segmentation assuming that you do not have large
bias fields. Next, there are two meshing modules in Slicer (Voxel Mesh and
IA_FEMesh). Both or capable of generating a hex mesh. You would need to
write a translator to get the result into a format suitable for Ansys.

Vince

On 7/11/10 11:44 AM, "yasser salman" <yass71 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Luis,
> Thanks for your fast reply,
>
> I have a MRI brain volume, i wanna to do that:
> 1- Extract the Brain only from the volume.
> 2- Segment Brain to Gray / White matter/  CFS.  (may be tumor in the future
> will be considered)
> 3- Output this segmented volume to FEM (Ansys) .
> Regards,
> Yasser

Associate Professor
Department of Radiology