[Insight-users] Documentation for Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 12 11:37:08 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use the Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter to
extract possible vessels from an MRA image. However, I am a bit
confused as to the parameters to use for the filter. So, the
documentation says:

"The filter takes as input an image of hessian pixels and preserves
pixels that have eigen values lambda_3 close to 0 and lambda_2 and
lambda_1 as large negative values. (for bright tubular structures).

However, later it goes on to say that:

"Bright tubular structures will have low lambda_1  and large negative
values of lambda_2 and lambda_3."

I am not sure which one is correct.

Does someone know which range of alpha_1 and alpha_2 should I try
playing with when looking at MRA images where the vessels appear as
bright structures?

 Cheers,

Anja