[Insight-users] Image mask and SpatialObjects

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Jul 13 07:56:17 EDT 2010

Thanks for pointing this out. I agree with all your observations. I'm not
sure what the correct solution is. My guess is that most of us have used the
mask spatial objects of the form (a) ImageMaskSpatialObject with masked
images (b) EllipsoidSpatialObject with an approximate ellipsoid defining the
brain (c) BoxSpatialObject, with a cuboid ROI on the target image.

For RTStruct data, we've converted them to ImageMaskSpatialObject and then
used them; because it simply did not seem to be a reasonable thing to
represent them as PolygonSpatialObject, given how slow the IsInside()
becomes. One has to do the line based voting against every polygon boundary
point; and do this for every pixel and transformed pixel; and at do this at
every iteration. The marginally improved precision of representing the ROI
as a mesh may not to be worth the time.

karthik