[Insight-users] ITK 3.20 --> ITK 4.0 Transition Plan : ITK : CVS --> Git

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jul 15 09:46:15 EDT 2010

As many of you may know, we are working on
a major new version of ITK:

                    This will be ITKv4.

The main goals for ITKv4 are:

        (1)  Revising,
        (2)  Accelerating,
        (3)  Simplifying and
        (4)  Improving DICOM support in ITK.

To that end we have drafted a Transition Plan to go
from ITK 3.20 to ITKv4.  The current form of this plan
is available in the Wiki page:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Migration_Plan

A schematic representation of th plan is available at:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/File:ITKv4-TransitionPlanProposal.png

The intermediate Phases of the Transition Plan
have been sketched out in

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Migration_Plan/Phases

an equivalent document is available at:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/images/5/5c/ITKv4-TransitionPlan-Draft.pdf

Please share with us your impression on how
the current transition plan may impact your use
of ITK.

---

At this point, we have executed:

* Release of ITK 3.20 : July 15th

We are now in the process of:

* Porting ITK from CVS to Git.

As we move to Git, a lot of effort is being invested
in preserving the CVS history.

We anticipate that ITK-Git will be settle by the end of July.

It is therefore a good moment for you to start learning Git.  :-)

Resources are available at:
http://git-scm.com/documentation

We recommend that you start by watching this talk
that Linus Torvals gave at Google:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

Then follow up with the official Git tutorial

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html

( but, please note that there are many other
    resources available for learning Git )

--

We will appreciate any suggestions on how to
improve the Transition Plan, and how to minimize