[Insight-users] [Insight-developers] ITK 3.20 --> ITK 4.0 Transition Plan : ITK : CVS --> Git

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jul 19 00:22:37 EDT 2010

Hi Steve,

You bring up very good questions,
let me comment below:

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Steve M. Robbins <steve at sumost.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:46:15AM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:
>
> > Please share with us your impression on how
> > the current transition plan may impact your use
> > of ITK.
>
> I really applaud the use of Reference Applications and producing
> detailed Migration reports.  You have quite a large set of Reference
> Applications listed.  Have you any idea how much of ITK they
> collectively cover?

We don't have application coverage information yet.

This will be very enlightening, we will finally see hard
numbers on what are the most used part of the toolkit.

Feel free to propose other applications to include in the
list.

BTW:
We are still looking for tools that will help us organize
all this information in a systematic way.

We will  appreciate any suggestions...

> Is there any more detail on what new functionality each topic branch
> will contain and how they will interact to produce the final ITK?

The current suggested Topic Branches are loosely cut
based on the larger topics that ITKv4 contractors have
proposed.  However, we anticipate that a large number
of related branches will derive from the larger topic
branches.

We are relying on Git flexibility for creating and merging
branches on a daily basis.

> The diagram in the transition plan suggests that five groups will
> be operating in parallel, each on their own copy of ITK, output to
> "Gerrit Code Reviews".  Is the idea to publish completed code from
> each branch into the ITKv4 Master for integration testing?

Yes, all the repositories will be publishing into the Master.

In between, all the repositories will be public, to allow
the larger ITK community to help review the progress
of ITKv4 and steer its course.

We need to work more on the labeling of things, but in
principle there will be an ITK Git repository at Kitware
that will host the "published" version of ITKv4 in its
"master" branch.

Its "next" branch will be the integration branch and will
be heavily tested in the Dashboard.

Topic branches will also be tested in the Dashboard by
using a  "test-on-demand" service (that we will implement
soon based on CDash & CTest). Once green in a set of
"required" platforms (most likely including Visual Studio
9 & 10, Gcc 4.3 & 4.4 in Linux and Mac OS), the code
will be passed to Gerrit for code review.  The code may
Gerrit, and once it get to satisfy ITK standards, its will
be pushed into the "next" branch of the published repository.

The move from "next" to "master" will be done in
short iteration releases (three weeks each, maybe...)

There are still many details to be figure out,

so,
Please point out any flaws or inconsistencies
that you may find in the Transition Plan.

We better learn about them earlier    :-)