[Insight-users] finding critical points.

Liam Kurmos quantum.leaf at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 19 07:21:41 EDT 2010

Dear ITK list,

I've been following this list for a while and looking forward to the
opportunity to use ITK in the PhD research project i'm working on,
which has finally arrived.

Currently I want to compute the critical points in a volume data set.
(ie find the saddle and extrema points).
I think this can be done easily with ITK, if someone with ITK
experience can tell me which classes i should use to quickly find
these points it I would be very grateful.

At the moment I just need the positions of the critical points. In the
future I will need to compute the full Contour Tree (cf:
http://www.csi.ucd.ie/staff/hcarr/home/research/publications/contourtreealgorithm.pdf
) which describes the structure of inter-relationship of the critical
points. ITK doesn't have contour tree construction, so at some point I
may have to implement Contour Tree construction myself. Would it be
desirable to have contour tree construction in ITK? Or is this outside
the scope of 'Registration and Segmentation'?

Liam