[Insight-users] destinguishing sheets from fibers

Sergio Vera sergio.vera at alma3d.com
Tue Jul 20 11:41:32 EDT 2010

Using the hessian you can look for tubular structures easily. ITK has some
functions related oriented do enhance vessels (that are similar to your
fibers).

There are also minor modifications of the hessian filter that sould be able
to respond well to plate-like structures as far as I remember...

Look for Alejandro Frangi Vesselness measure. His paper explains the
combination of eigenvalues of the Hessian that respond well to tubes and to
plates.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:34 PM, <lynx.abraxas at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>

> Is it possible to destinguish sheets from fibers by a filter (chain)?
> The  fibers are ideally abritarily bend cylinders of diameter d and the
> sheets
> are ideally abritrarily bend planes with a thickness d as well. The fibers
> and
> sheets are randomly distributed in 3D space.
>
> I  was  thinking  if this can be done by a 3D FFT, finding the local maxima
> in
> the FFT-amplitude image, masking these with a local or  global  threshold
>  and
> then doing a inverse FFT of only what is within the mask.
> Would  this work? Would the sheets yield a stronger signal in the FFT than
> the
> fibers?
> Is there any other way to do this?
> Is there perhaps some kind  of  skeletonization  filter  that  would  make
>  it
> possible  to destinguish parts from the skeleton that belong to the sheets
> and
> parts that belong to fibers?
>
> What approach would be best if d is not exact but varies?
>

> Thanks for any help or hints.
> Lynx

Sergio Vera

 Alma IT Systems