[Insight-users] Irregularly sampled deformation field

Emmanuel Christophe emmanuel.christophe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 12:53:57 EDT 2010

Hi all,

We are using the TransformToDeformationFieldSource with the
WarpImageFilter to apply a deformation to an image. The advantage is
that the WarpImageFilter is able to interpolate the deformation which
enable us to use a subsampled deformation field (speeding up the
computation significantly).

We would like to be able to adapt the sampling according to some
specific criteria. For this, we would need an irregularly sampled
deformation field and the corresponding image warping filter. We don't
think that there is anything like that in ITK (yet). We are
considering implementing that, but we would like to have suggestions
concerning the best data structure to use to represent this irregular
grid: PointSet, Mesh, anything else?

Thanks,
Emmanuel and Julien