[Insight-users] What is the *correct* way to downsample an image with ITK?

Jonathan Orban jonathan.orban at uclouvain.be
Fri Jun 11 09:35:18 EDT 2010

Hi Joel,

You are right about the fact that in order to do proper signal
downsampling, you need to start by filtering the signal with a low-pass
filter. This is required to respect the Nyquist-Shannon theorem (
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem> ).

In the fields where the images are sampled representations of a real
signal (such as medical imaging), it is common to use a scale-space
representation of the signal, that is, a framework to "handle image
structures at different scales, by representing an image as a
one-parameter family of smoothed images, parametrized by the size of the
smoothing kernel used for suppressing fine-scale
structures".(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_space>)

There are different families of kernels that allow you to do such
operation. However, the Gaussian filter is the canonical way to generate
a linear scale-space.
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_space#Why_a_Gaussian_filter.3F>)

There are plenty of scientific articles and books referenced on these
wikipedia pages where you will find all the information that you need.

HTH,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Orban

Researcher, PhD Student (FRIA) - Medical Image Processing

Communications and Remote Sensing Laboratory (TELE),
Université catholique de Louvain (UCL),
Batiment Stévin
Place du Levant, 2
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium

Tel: +32(0)10/47.80.74 - Fax: +32(0)10/47.20.89
email: jonathan.orban at uclouvain.be