[Insight-users] What is the *correct* way to downsample an image with ITK?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jun 14 08:12:02 EDT 2010

Hi Joel,

The WindowedSinc interpolator should have taken care of
removing artifacts during the resampling.  IF the spectrum
of your image can be masked by a box in the frequency
domain.

I don't see this interpolator being used in your code at:
http://cvs.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/viewvc/clitk3/filters/clitkImageResampleGenericFilter.cxx?revision=1.10&view=markup

How big are the squares of your checkerboard ?

If your input image is:
http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~schaerer/checkerboard.png

It looks like the squares are one-pixel wide.
Is that the case ?

If so, you are addressing an unrealistic case, since no
possible sub-sampling will be able to maintain the
information of that high frequency image.

Think of it in the frequency domain:

Your checker board image when it gets
to boxes that are 1-pixel wide, is equivalent to a
sinusoidal function of the highest frequency.

    ^            ^
    |            |
    |------------|

Any sub-sampling of this image will result in the
overlaps of the spectrum when it gets replicated
due to the sampling of the coarser grid.

Smoothing will not help here, since, there is no
other frequency different from the highest ones,
so attenuating the high frequencies doesn't
results in a diminished level of frequency warping.

BTW: This is not really an "ITK problem".    :-)

        It is an "image processing" problem.

ITK provides tools, but you still have to use them
properly and in the case where they are applicable.

We can't blame the hammer for not doing a good
job of removing a screw.