[Insight-users] vertebrae segmentation with GeodesicActiveContourShapePriorLevelSetFilter

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 08:04:33 EDT 2010

One good thing to try, is to use the desired final segmentation as
initial condition, and check if the evolution of the curve keeps it in
place. One interesting thing to see is the edge map, if it is good
enough it will tell you that you need less weight on the shape term.
On the contrary, if the boundary map isn't good enough, maybe it is
wise to raise the weight of the shape term.
Could you please post the new results? It will be interesting to see
how it goes.
Regards,
             Juan

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Paul <pare85 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Juan,
>
> thank you for your prompt reply. You are right. The number of iterations was
> too small. The segmentation results are better now but they still aren' t
> good enough. I will try some other parameter combinations, create a better
> mean shape image and check the edge image again. Maybe I can optimize some
> of this things.
>
> Best regards,
> Paul
>
>> Hey Paul,
>> While I can't assure that this technique would work, I'm pretty
>> confident that is a good path to follow. However, as they say, the
>> devil is in the details, so maybe you will need some fine tuning to
>> make it work.
>> Regarding the particular problem with the results, I find interesting
>> to see the final number of iterations in each case. It seems to me
>> that your problem is that the default maximum number of iterations is
>> too small. You can tell that because the front stop advancing in a
>> quite arbritrary point, and not on an actual minimum of the energy.
>> The second example only confirms my thesis, because the only thing you
>> did is to increase the propagation speed, which partially aleviates
>> the problem, but you are still stopping at an arbritrarly point. You
>> can confirm this by looking at the console output of the program and
>> see the final number of iterations. If that happens to be the problem,
>> I suggest that you increase the number of iterations to a ridiculous
>> number, like 10k, and see at what number it stops. It will be also
>> useful if you post the output of the program.
>> I wish you luck with the problem, and let us know how it turned out.
>> Best regards,
>>                     Juan
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Paul<pare85 at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hello mailinglist,
>>>
>>> I' m using the GeodesicActiveContourShapePriorLevelSetFilter to segment
>>> 2D
>>> ct data of vertebrae. I can't find the right parameters to get a good
>>> segmentation of the typical vertebra shape. Do you think, it is possible
>>> get a good segmentation of vertebrae with the
>>> GeodesicActiveContourShapePriorLevelSetFilter? The following links show
>>> some
>>> segmentation results, the input image and the mean shape image I'm using.
>>> Maybe you can give me some advice how I have to change the parameters. I
>>> tried some parameter combinations but did not get one satisfying result.
>>>
>>> input image:
>>> http://250kb.de/qJsgisV
>>>
>>> mean shape image:
>>> http://250kb.de/e3leuKZ
>>>
>>> segmentation result with seed points: 3 propagation=2 advection=3
>>> curvature=1 shape=0.5 distance=5
>>>
>>> http://250kb.de/oamCuus
>>>
>>> segmentation result with seed points: 5 propagation=4 advection=3
> [...]
>>> Paul