[Insight-users] RV: about HessianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter

Iván Macía imacia at vicomtech.org
Wed Jun 30 04:50:41 EDT 2010

If you simply have a Hessian matrix (SymmetricSecondRankTensor) you can get
the same result by calculating the eigenvalues using the method
ComputeEigenValues(). This is useful for example if you calculate the
Hessian matrix in only a few points and want to calculate corresponding
eigenvalues.

I don’t know what you understand by “intensity values”. In general, what
we call a discrete image is an scalar, vectorial or tensor field that is
sampled in the form a discrete structured grid equispaced along each
direction (that is for every point of the space you get an scalar, vector or
tensor depending on the nature of the field). The values at each grid point
can be scalar (what we usually call intensity) or vectorial (this can be
several values representing for example RGB values, velocity or other
magnitudes) or tensorial (i.e. the Hessian matrix). The scalar need not to
be an integer, it can be for example floating point value and it usually
represents the output of the sensor, a calculated magnitude etc. When you
calculate an image of eigenvalues in fact you get a vector at each point
that stores those values (vector image). You can simply access the value at
each point as usual, and since here you have a vector you may use the array
[] operator after accessing the pixel vector value using iterators (best) or
GetPixel() (random access)

The EigenValueAccesor in the attached example simply accesses each component
to create three scalar images from the vector image.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards

Iván