[Insight-users] What is the current status on image orientation etc?

Kris Thielemans kris.thielemans at csc.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 08:12:06 EST 2010

Hi

I apologise for asking this question, but I have been trying to get my head
round image orientations and location, but haven't succeeded.

Can anyone point me to a page/document describing the current (i.e. ITK
3.16) status of the conventions used by ITK for the coordinates returned by
e.g. TranformIndexToPhysicalPoint?

I am mainly interested in the question that if I read an image from Dicom,
and another from e.g. MetaIO, where both specify PatientPosition in there
respective conventions, would the ITK "physical coordinates" live in the
same coordinate system, and how is it related to the patient?

I did find the discussion page on
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation but this is last updated in
2007 and it doesn't seem to contain the decisions taken. There's also the
bug thread http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=6558 which is now closed. I
infer from it that ITK now uses centre-of-voxel, but it isn't very clearly
stated. There's also some discussion for ITK 4.0, but that doesn't help me
yet.

Thanks

Kris Thielemans
Hammersmith Imanet Ltd