[Insight-users] AdaptiveHistgramEqualization too slow

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Mar 6 19:39:56 EST 2010

Hi Zhenchao,

1) The itkAdaptiveHistogramEqualizationImageFilter took

                        9 minutes 25 seconds

     to run in an input image of size:  3072x2304

     in a laptop LATITUDE E6500, with processor:
     Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600  @ 2.80GHz
     Running Ubuntu 9.10,
     with code compiled with gcc 4.4 in Release mode.

     with the following parameters:

                 Radius =   10
                 Alpha   =   1.0
                 Beta     =   0.25

      The radius parameter is obviously critical here.

      You should anticipate that the computation time
      is proportional to the square of the radius
      (for 2D images)

      A radius of 10 is using a region of 21x21 pixels
      for performing the local computations.

2)   As a reference: Using a radius value of 2,
      leads the filter to run in 25 seconds, on the
      same input image.

What value of radius are you using with the ITK filter ?

What value of radius are you using with Matlab ?

and

Very important:
have you compiled your code for "Release" mode ?