[Insight-users] how to calculate point using eigen vector

Kishore Mosaliganti kishoreraom at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 15:17:32 EST 2010

Hi Kana,

You need to arrange the lambda values in the order of decreasing magnitudes.
So based on your convention:
lambda1 = 12.2557
lambda2 = - 560.862
lambda3 = - 1022.66

You may want to use the filter developed in: "Generalizing vesselness with
respect to dimensionality and shape",
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/175
The basic work consist of Frangi's measures and it is mentioned in the
references of the above article. Specifically, the above paper implements
the filter proposed by Manniesingh et al.:
"Vessel enhancing diffusion: A scale space representation of vessel
structures "

This filter will allow you to first preprocess your images and enhance
tubes.

For your second question, you can follow the center line by looking for the
eigen-vector whose corresponding eigen value has a value closest to 0. The
reason is that along the center-line, there is no gradient in intensity and
hence the lambda1~0. So, you will go in the direction [-0.120 0.010 0.992]

Kishore