[Insight-users] muliple pahse Chan Vese, one partition totally shrink

Baoyun Li baoyun_li123 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 17:52:54 EDT 2010

Dear All:

I have a theoritical question about Chen Vese multiplse pahse leve set.

I have two level set and the two level set can segment the image to 4 segments, then I can calculate the mean for each segments as following

%c11 = mean (phi1>0 & phi2>0)
%c12 = mean (phi1>0 & phi2<0)
%c21 = mean (phi1<0 & phi2>0)
%c22 = mean (phi1<0 & phi2<0)

How about if I only have three segments, let say segment (phi1<0 & phi2<0) will finally shrink to zeros.

Then how to I calcuate c22, and also what value of c22 I should use to update leve set equation as shown below:

((u-c22)^2-(u-c12)^2)H(phi2).

I saw somebody use the mininum number of the machine to replace c22, but I could not imagine what will happen and why to do that.

Thanks
Baoyun