[Insight-users] Cannot access LightObject functions in object instantiated in DLL

Gao Han lintworm2 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 11 09:40:27 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I have been stuck for a while now, and any help would be greatly
appreciated. This is the problem:

I am creating a program for image analysis, and am using a combination of
wxWidgets, VTK and ITK. For this, I have set up a platform in which
functionality can be extended by means of DLL modules. The problem at the
moment is that I am working on a image display. I use
itk::ImageToVTKImageFilter for the connection between VTK and ITK. I am able
to create the object alright, and am able to call all functions of the
base-classes except for the classes from LightObject. The offending code:

    typedef itk::ImageToVTKImageFilter<UnsignedCharITKImage2D> conRGBUChar;

    conRGBUChar * filt = conRGBUChar::New();
    std::cout << "In the filter class : ";
    std::cout << filt->tralalie() << "\n";           // Fine....

    std::cout << "In itkProcessObject : ";
    std::cout << filt->GetNumberOfOutputs() << "\n";   // Fine...

    std::cout << "In itkObject : ";
    std::cout << filt->GetDebug() << "\n";      // Fine...

    std::cout << "In itkLightObject : ";
    std::cout << filt->GetReferenceCount() << "\n";    // Crash with
0xc000000005

Where the function tralalie a function is that I added to the code of
itkImageToVTKImageFilter:
    char * tralalie() {return "In itkImageToVTKImageFilter.h";}

(BTW: In the original itkImageToVTKFilter.h is some code that I don't think
should be there, the function tralala etc. but that's a different story).

I have no clue where this error comes from, and any
ideas/suggestions/pointers will be greatly appreciated. What I've done
sofar: Rebuild ITK, switched to an older version (3.16.0), implemented in
many different ways.

Hoping on replies,

Gao Han