[Insight-users] ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator frequency container overflow

Isaac Abbott isaac.abbott at gmail.com
Tue May 18 10:05:22 EDT 2010

Dear ITK developer,

I am using the ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator (ITK 3.16), in combination
with the OtsuMultipleThresholdsCalculator to find threshold for image
binarization.
It was working great until I started processing larger images
(1024x1024x112).
I now get the "Frequency container saturated for Instance " exception within
the DenseFrequencyContainer.
This is because the frequency of 0 is greater than the
"largestIntegerThatFitsInFloat".

I could solve the problem by creating my own histogram, normalizing it, then
copying it into the itk::Statistics::Histogram for the
OtsuMultipleThresholdsCalculator, but it seems like their could be a way to
extend the Dense Frequency Container to allow for higher frequencies.

Thanks,
Isaac