[Insight-users] ITK 3.18 exception with VS9 but not mingw or during unit tests

Chuck Lloyd chuck.lloyd at gmail.com
Thu May 20 17:14:10 EDT 2010

I’m hoping someone can help. I’m not having a lot of luck tracking this down.

Any program more complex than than HelloWorld.cxx, such as
Examples\DataRepresentation\Image\Image5.cxx, will terminate
with an exception when I run it. I’ve been able to duplicate the same
behavior with Testing\Code\BasicFilters\itkImportImageTest.cxx.

Here’s what I do.

Get 3.18 zip of ITK.
Unzip it.
Make buildir
Run CMAKE 2.8.1 to make a visual studio 2008 solution in builddir (Win32-vs9)
Build ALL_BUILD
Build RUN_TESTS (Only a few fail)
Build Package
Install Package

Make simple dir with itkImportImageTest.cxx and simple CMakelists.txt
from HelloWorld.cxx.
Change itkImportImageTest() to main() in cxx file.
Make solution (Point CMAKE at installed ITK)
Build solution (Linker warning about adding /nodefaultlib:MSVCRT, but
that doesn’t fix this either)
Copy ITKCommon.dll from installation to Debug dir
Run itkImportImageTest.exe in Debug dir.
Get exception in some basic string operation in gdcm:DictSet:BuildDictPath

This test passed when run from the RUN_TESTS target in the original build.

This entire process works find  with the Mingw compiler that comes
with QtCreator.

I’m down to comparing the .vcproj files but that isn’t helping so far.
I’m hoping someone can help.

Chuck Lloyd
Software Architect
Reveal Imaging