[Insight-users] Supervised classification with ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue May 25 13:01:25 EDT 2010

Hi Franz,

Thanks for your detailed question.

Let me give it a shot at populating the table that you proposed:

Classification Algorithms in ITK
=======================

> - Supervised SVM (Support Vector Machines)
     (No, unless you count NN as a potential implementation,
      in which case, please see C2 below)

> - Unsupervised k-Means clustering (Yes) (See C1)

> - Supervised SOM classification
     (Self-Organizing Maps)
     (Yes)(See C2)

> - Supervised Linear Discriminant Classifier (Is it?)
     (Not sure on this one, it looks like it could be
      implemented by using the mixture model classifier...
      See C3)

> - Supervised Maximum Likelihood (only founded Unsupervised)
     (Not sure on this one. it would seem that you could
      implement it by using the classifier framework,
      and initializing the classes, See C4).

> - Supervised Minimum distance or K-means (No)

> - K-NN (available in the Insight Journal, See C5)

> - Parzen Classifier (No)

C1:
===
http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ImageKmeansModelEstimator.html
http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ScalarImageKmeansImageFilter.html
Insight/Code/Review/Statistics
itkKdTreeBasedKmeansEstimator.h
itkKdTreeBasedKmeansEstimator.txx

C2:
===
Neural Networks
Insight/Code/Numerics/NeuralNetworks/

C3:
===
http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Statistics_1_1ExpectationMaximizationMixtureModelEstimator.html
http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Statistics_1_1MixtureModelComponentBase.html

C4:
===
Insight/Testing/Code/Review/Statistics/itkImageClassifierFilterTest.cxx

C5:
===
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/94
"Computational Geometry Computation and KNN Segmentation in ITK"
by Cardenes R., Sanchez M.R., Ruiz-Alzola J.

-----------------

That said, please note there is a separate toolkit
called the

                      Orfeo Toolbox
           http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/

That is build on top of ITK and is targeted to remote
sensing applications.

OTB provides support for:

http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech17.html#x44-24800017

 17.3 Support Vector Machines
http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech17.html#x44-26100017.3

 17.4 Kohonen’s Self Organizing Map
http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech17.html#x44-27100017.4

You may find interesting the following thread in their forum
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=jXRgfxcAAADBXgn_3JhBl33kZTl3A-5YHqZiDvCVswhrZ6TQxKj0ww

   Please let us know if you have further questions,