[Insight-users] filter to create a subgraph of an image

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Thu May 27 05:16:47 EDT 2010

Many thanks Luis for Your answer.

I read in P. Soille's book (p. 67,68) that You can use nonflat
structuring elements for grey-scale images. If I'm not mistaken this is
the same as the rolling ball filter of imagej if You have a 2D grey
image and open or close it with a 3D ball.

Richard Beare has submitted a great suite of parabolic morphology tools
to the insight journal:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/228
If I got it right these are nonflat structuring elements as well.
Parabolas can only work nonflat because they are infinite in size.

I would need a rolling hyper sphere/ball to filter a 3D grey image.
Therefore I tried the GrayscaleMorphologicalClosingImageFilter but it
does not compile if the Kernel is a
BinaryBallStructuringElement<InputPixelType, Dimension + 1>
So I guess I need to create this subgraph binary image of Dimension + 1
to be able to use a closing filter with a ball of Dimension + 1 and
after that I have to convert it back to a grey image.
Or is there a Opening/Closing filter that can take a SE of img-dim + 1
already in ITK?

Many thanks for any help or hints.
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c.
Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Handelsregister: AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583