[Insight-users] Look for good examples (ITK+VTK+GUI)

Erkang Cheng ekyaya at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 12:17:17 EST 2010

Dear all:

I am looking for good examples to follow. Could you share good open source
example to follow? Thanks.

I try to build my own platform or modify good open source example to realize
special tasks.
I want to write 3D detection in the platform. The platform should have two
basic functions: annotation functions and could show the detection result.

The platform I aim to build could realize
  1. has GUI to show and operate data
  2. GUI may show 3 orthogonal planes and the 3D visualization of data.
  3. may have cross-hair to navigate the data
  4. could realize interaction with slices or 3D visualization of data.
       e.x: user could draw circle or rectangle one one slice, user could
mark on the slices .etc.
       e.x: if I add a detection algorithm, the platform could display the
detection result, on slices or 3D  visualization of data.

In my opinion, the platform may be obtained with ITK, VTK and GUI (FLTK or
QT). VTK maybe better to follow than OpenGL.

The 4th function is most important function I want to achieve.

Here are some resources I have tried.

1. DeformableModelSimplexMesh and LiverTumorSegmentation in
( InsightApplications-3.18.0)

   which are using ITK (load and process data), VTK(visualization).

   It seems that there are lack of interactions part.

2. ImageViewer.
    this is a simple example for displaying data. OpneGL is utilized.

3. ITK-Snap.

    This is a very good example to follow. However, the visualization is
achieved by OpenGL.

    ITK-Snap could achieve most functions I want. But it doesn't use VTK to
show slices and there is no 3D visualization for 3D data.

    Another question is that how to show the 3D detection result in
ITK-Snap?

    The good thing is codes in ITK-Snap is easy to learn and modified (vs.
3DSlicer and IGSTK, in my view).

    Some modifications are tried to realize to label landmarks in 3D data.

4. MITK (org)

   This is another platform wants to combine ITK and VTK. However, it has
less examples than ITK and VTK. There are lots examples in
InsightApplications.

5. 3DSlicer and IGSTK
    I have roughly tried these two tools.
    The idea I didn't catch is that should we build on these tools or
modified them. More detail, could use the components to build our simple
interface? These interfaces seem too complex for me.
    However, there seem much complicated than ITK-Snap.

Above are some examples I have tried.

I don't know which one is good to follow for me. Are there other good open
source examples to learn?

Suggestions area welcome.

Thanks again.

Best