[Insight-users] 3 pairs of points in 3D Iterative Closest Point registrations

Patrik Brynolfsson patrik.brynolfsson at radfys.umu.se
Mon Oct 4 19:02:58 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am working on a project in where I have to register two images based on
user input of corresponding points in the images. The images are in 3D so I
opted for the VersorRigid3DTransform with the LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer,
basically following IterativeClosestPoint2.cxx in the examples folder.
Everything compiles fine, but I was planning on using 3 pairs of user
selected points but the Levenberg-Marquardt optimizer complains:

vnl_levenberg_marquardt: Number of unknowns(6) greater than number of data
(3)

Do I have to use another optimizer in order to use fewer than six points?
Surely 3 pairs of points should be enough to determine a transform in 3D?

---
Patrik Brynolfsson