[Insight-users] Registration of one sub-brain to full-brain

Erik Türke tuerke at cbs.mpg.de
Thu Oct 21 15:28:13 EDT 2010

Am 21.10.2010 19:17, schrieb Torsten Rohlfing:
> [...]
>> />/  . Currently i am using a MattesMutualInformationImageToImage metric, a
>> />/  RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer and a VersorRigid3DTransform.
>> />/
>> />/  Prior to the registration the hemisphere is roughly aligned to the fullbrain
>> />/  (only needs translation of few mm and little rotation). If i start the
>> />/  registration the optimizer finishes with a rotation of about 90 deg x and y.
>> />/  I also tried a VersorRigid3DOptimizer and a NormalizedCorrelation with
>> />/  almost the same result.
>> />/
>> />/  The scalefactors of my optimizer are:
>> />/                 optimizerScaleRegularStepGradient[0] = 1.0;
>> />/                 optimizerScaleRegularStepGradient[1] = 1.0;
>> />/                 optimizerScaleRegularStepGradient[2] = 1.0;
>> />/                 optimizerScaleRegularStepGradient[3] = 1.0/1000.0;
>> />/                 optimizerScaleRegularStepGradient[4] = 1.0/1000.0;
>> />/                 optimizerScaleRegularStepGradient[5] = 1.0/1000.0;
>> />/
>> />/  I guess the itk examples are proposing the same values.
>> />/  Is there any trick to apply such a sub-brain registration to a full-brain
>> />/  registration. The worrying thing is that SPM gets it right :-(
>> />/
>> />/  Thanks and best regards!!
>> />/
>> />/  --
>> />/  Erik Tuerke
>> />/  Department of Neurophysics Max-Planck-Institute for Human Cognitive and
>> />/  Brain Sciences
>> />/  Stephanstrasse 1A
>> />/  04103 Leipzig
>> />/  Germany Tel: +49 341 99 40-2440
>> />/  Email:tuerke at cbs.mpg.de  <http://www.itk.org/mailman/listinfo/insight-users>
>> />/  www.cbs.mpg.de
>> />/
>> />/
>> />/  _____________________________________
>> />/  Powered bywww.kitware.com
>> />/
>> />/  Visit other Kitware open-source projects at
>> />/  http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
>> />/
>> />/  Kitware offers ITK Training Courses, for more information visit:
>> />/  http://www.kitware.com/products/protraining.html
>> />/
>> />/  Please keep messages on-topic and check the ITK FAQ at:
>> />/  http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ
>> />/
>> />/  Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
>> />/
>> /
>>

> --
> Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
>   Senior Research Scientist      333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025
>    Phone: ++1 (650) 859-3379      Fax: ++1 (650) 859-2743
>     torsten at synapse.sri.com         http://www.stanford.edu/~rohlfing/
>
>       "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"

Hi!

Well i think extracting a region of interest which should be considered
during the registration is possible by passing a mask to the image
metric. So the challenge is to define this mask automatically. I am
first thinking of an Otsu filter to define such a mask.
A second possibility would be to use the
"SetUseFixedImageSamplesIntensityThreshold
<http://www.itk.org/Doxygen318/html/classitk_1_1ImageToImageMetric.html#ae56734d7cc4bb45a6ba462e56f260546>"
method or the "SetUseSequentialSampling" method  of the
MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric. But since these both methods
are only implemented in the review code i did not use one of them.

Best regards so far!

--
Erik Türke
Email: tuerke at cbs.mpg.de