[Insight-users] [Insight-registration] Registration of one sub-brain to full-brain

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Sat Oct 23 18:41:12 EDT 2010

  Hi Rupert.

On 10/23/2010 10:25 AM, Rupert Brooks wrote:
> I'm curious about your statement that partial data does not register
> well in the non-rigid case.  I'm not sure i would agree that its true
> in all cases, i've definitely used masks in non-rigid registration to
> good effect.  I would think that a half brain, properly masked, would
> match well with a full brain.  I didn't try though, so i might be
> wrong.  In any case, i'd be interested to hear some specifics.
Well, I wasn't saying it NEVER works, but it is nowhere near as
successful as affine registration of partial data (again, based on my
own subjective experience). The trouble with nonrigid when using an
image mask is that the deformation can selectively move things in and
out of the masked area in one place without being bound by any
constraints imposed by other places.

As an example, when I try to register a skull-stripped brain to a
whole-head image, then there is only one object that "looks" like a
brain in the complete image, so masked registration works pretty well
finding that as the registration outcome.

With nonrigid in the same example, there may well be parts of the skull
in some places that fit the brain in that area of the stripped image
better than the neighbouring brain, so the nonrigid transformation may
pull these regions into the wrong place.

Hope this makes sense. Again, this is just my empirical experience, no
hard science ;)

Best,
   Torsten