[Insight-users] ITK-ready Virtual Appliance my first impression

Oleksandr Dzyubak adzyubak at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 11:50:50 EDT 2010

Hi Luis,

Q:
Question: It is reasonable to expect that users
of the Virtual Appliance already know how to
configure its parameters (RAM, video... etc) ?

A: I hope so. In addition, VirtualBox has nice and quite intuitive GUI.

Q:
6) Clean the system.
itkuser at ITK-VirtualBox:~$ sudo apt-get clean

I'm curious about this step.
Did it reduced the size of the appliance ?

I confess that I have never done "sudo apt-get clean"
so, it was interesting reading about it.

A:
APT install/upgrade works using caching packages
on the local harddrive.  If you do not intend to maintain
a large client network and keeping all downloaded packages
on some shared file server, you might want to get rid of those
download since after a while it could eat up all your available space.

That's why I always make system cleaning.
Just to demonstrate the idea, lets see what it does for your system.

******************
itkuser at ITK-VirtualBox:~$ df -h
/dev/sda1              19G  2.9G   15G  17% /
none                  953M  204K  953M   1% /dev
none                  958M  168K  958M   1% /dev/shm
none                  958M   96K  958M   1% /var/run
none                  958M     0  958M   0% /var/lock
/dev/sr0               32M   32M     0 100%
/media/VBOXADDITIONS_3.2.10_66523

itkuser at ITK-VirtualBox:~$ sudo apt-get clean
[sudo] password for itkuser:
itkuser at ITK-VirtualBox:~$ df -h
/dev/sda1              19G  2.8G   16G  16% /
none                  953M  204K  953M   1% /dev
none                  958M  168K  958M   1% /dev/shm
none                  958M   96K  958M   1% /var/run
none                  958M     0  958M   0% /var/lock
/dev/sr0               32M   32M     0 100%
/media/VBOXADDITIONS_3.2.10_66523

Regards,

Alex