[Insight-users] Geodesic active contour shape prior levelset

Kishore Mosaliganti kishoreraom at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 12:55:47 EDT 2010

Hi Petin,

I have tried using the ShapePriorLevelSet filter before.

It is true that if you eliminate the registration aspect, then the
final result will be better. This is because of fewer parameters to
estimate for finding the global optimal set. Giving a registration
initialization is a good idea where it is possible.  You can also try
to automate that by specifying different starting orientations and
choosing the most common orientation observed (via voting etc). That
may help reduce the registration burden on the user.

The convergence of the level-set is due to various terms including the
gradient. What you visually see as the object boundary from intensity
may not be the location of the minima in the second gradient etc. The
levelset terms are attracted to a gradient basin. Therefore, you may
be perceiving the difference. The boundary is always going to be
difficult because of the partial voluming effects of neighboring
voxels. I think your result is fairly good from my perspective.

Kishore