[Insight-users] Curious Problem On Fast Marching Segmentation

Fan Yang stoneyang0915 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 05:02:42 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I am recently perform a vessel segmentation on a series of CT images by the
example code of itkFastMarchingImageFilter.

And there is a curious problem. Below is the original CT images and I want
to segment the abdominal aorta(AA) from this image.

[image: 1.2.840.113704.1.111.976.1298943214.4165-Frame1.jpg]

When I run the itkFastMarchingImageFilter demo on it, the result seems good.

[image: 1.2.840.113704.1.111.976.1298943214.4165_fm17-Frame1.jpg]

The main parameters specified in this demo are:

   - itkCurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter

          numberOfIterations = 5;
          timeStep = 0.125;
          conductanceParameter = 0.1;

   - itkGradientMagnitudeRecursiveGaussianImageFilter

          sigma = 0.98;

   - itkSigmoidImageFilter

          outputMinimum = 0;
          outputMaximum = 1;
          alpha = 0.5;
          beta = 21.5;

   - itkFastMarchingImageFilter

          stoppingTime = 30;

   - itkBinaryThresholdImageFilter

          lowerThreshold = 0;
          upperThreshold = 35;
          outsideValue = 0;
          insideValue = 255;

The trial point are located at some point on the edge of the AA wall.

Then I modified this demo to enable 3D reconstruction segmentation result of
the whole CT dataset using vtkContourFilter and I got a poor result: there
are pieces of snowflake-like object locating at the whole render window that
I can't tell where is the segmented AA.

Anyone can explain this or can give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Fan