[Insight-users] integration with Windows WPF

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 13:11:27 EDT 2011

Hi Rick,

There are a number of options, including:

1. ManagedITK
    http://code.google.com/p/manageditk/

2. SimpleITK C# wrappers
    http://itk.org/gitweb?p=SimpleITK.git;a=tree

3. Custom P/Invoke DLL wrapper around native C++

4. Wait for WrapITK to support C#

I have personally used the first three options, so can provide some
advice regarding the best choice.

Option 1 is the easiest option (you can simply download the pre-built
.NET assemblies), but unfortunately ManagedITK is no longer supported
(so using it in a long term project may not be the best idea).
Coverage is about 60% (see
http://manageditk.googlecode.com/files/coverage.txt)

Option 2 has medium difficulty (currently the pre-build .NET
assemblies are not available for download, so you need to build
SimpleITK from source). In addition to this, SimpleITK is still in
alpha/beta stage and does not provide all ITK functionality. Not sure
of the coverage, but it's probably around 40% at the moment.

Option 3 is the most difficult and time consuming option, but provides
the most flexibility. Coverage is -- in theory -- 100% (meaning you
can use anything and everything in ITK).

Option 4 requires patience until WrapITK supports C# (due around Nov
2011?). Coverage will probably be around 85%.

Please let the mailing list know if you need further information about
one or more of the options.

Cheers, Dan