[Insight-users] Fwd: Re: Filling big 3D holes

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 3 03:14:11 EST 2011

Hi Richard,

I'll have to digest this tomorrow (it's late here and I've just got back from
playing tennis).  I'll just point out that the blood is not labelled.  We use a
fluorescent dye that attaches to the endothelial cells lining the vessels in a
mouse lymph node.  Confocal microscopy therefore picks up the vessel wall, we
hope.  In fact for various reasons the labelling is weak, virtually non-existent
in patches on some vessels.  It is a pretty difficult dataset.

Yes, we aim to segment the whole arterial network, and to characterize it
quantitatively - topology, and radii.

Cheers
Gib

On 3/02/2011 5:34 p.m., Richard Beare wrote:
> The original message mentioned watertight parts - connected components
> will only work if this is true.
>
> Basically it sounds like you want to segment the entire artery
> network, not just the wall - is that right?
>
> It also sounds as though the walls are labelled (but not perfectly)
> and that the blood and outside are similar intensity. Is the arterial
> network connected within your snapshot? i.e. should you be able to
> travel along arteries and reach all of the artery interiors you are
> interested in without leaving an artery?
>
> My standard approach in this situation is always to draw a marker
> inside an artery, draw a background marker, compute a gradient image
> and run a watershed transform. It works surprisingly often, and where
> it fails will give you insight into how to improve it. In your case
> you may be able to use the raw image as the gradient if the bright
> zones correspond to edges of your regions of interest.
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:23 PM, brian avants<stnava at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> gib
>>
>> another alternative is a topology preserving level set --- we have
>> this code available here
>>
>> http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/778
>>
>> brian
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Gib Bogle<g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz>  wrote:
>>> (sorry for forgetting to "reply-all")

>>> walls.  It works quite well, but unless it patches all the gaps it still