[Insight-users] offset of a curve using level sets

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:05:28 EST 2011

I want to perform a very simple task: I have a curve represented as
the level set of an implicit function (coming from a level set
segmentation algorithm) and I want to inflate (or deflate) it a
certain amoun. Lets say 10 pixels from the original location. As I'm
used to work with full level sets, I usually substract 10 pixels from
the implicit function. For that you need the full implicit function.
As in ITK we use only a band near the level set, that won't work for
sure.
All the alternatives I'm thinking seem to be somehow complicated:

1) compute the zero contour and use fastmarching (signed) on the it,
then cut  this distance function at the desired level.
2) evolve the level set function with a constant curvature dependent
speed, until it advances the desired amount of pixels

I'm just wondering if there is anything already built in ITK.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
       Juan