[Insight-users] Speed

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 9 16:45:37 EST 2011

I've tried BoxMeanImageFilter (which I note was contributed by Richard Beare).
Indeed it is much faster, in fact it took just 43 sec for my test image - a bit
more than twice as fast as my code.  It uses all the CPU cores.  It also uses a
lot of memory, and when I try a test with an image of twice the size (200 frames
instead of 100) I'm told "This application has requested the Runtime to
terminate it in an unusual way."  I think it runs out of memory (I have only 4GB
in this machine).  I guess each thread is requesting a big chunk of memory.

I'm intrigued by the way these ITK filters automatically utilize multiple
processors, and I'm wondering if there is a way to set the number of threads
that will be invoked.  No doubt there's an IJ article on this topic ..