[Insight-users] Virtualization/virtual stacks in VTK/ITK

langermatze schneider at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 21 05:33:43 EST 2011

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any virtualization mechanism built in VTK/ITK
allowing for out-of-memory visualization/processing of large data sets.
Specifically, I'm trying to process (filtering, segmenting, visualizing)
large volumetric data in the range of 8-32 GB. Fiddling around with the
ReleaseDataFlag of the filtering pipelines didn't help too much. I was
looking for any kind of abstraction layer (something like a virtual image
stack that is dynamically loaded) but couldn't find anything like that. In
case anybody is aware of any "extension" or how to do large-scale image
processing in VTK/ITK it'd be great if you could let me know!

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Matthias Schneider