[Insight-users] Need some advise

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Feb 21 18:26:58 EST 2011

Hi Nuno,

There are certainly multiple options here,

So, let me suggest one of them only:

1) Combine ITK, VTK and Qt

2) Use them all at the C++ level

3) Use CMake for configuring them together
    (don't generate project from QtCreator, nor VStudio
     CMake can do this cleaner for you, and in a format
     that you can put in revision control (CVS/SVN/Git) )

4) If you need DICOM, ITK provides it via GDCM.
    If you need Query/Retrive, ITKv4 will have it by September.
    otherwise you should go with DCMTK

5) Should you pick DCMTK, then you should look at CTK

      http://www.commontk.org/index.php/Main_Page

     This library already combines VTK, Qt and DCMTK

      (I believe the MITK developers are also collaborating in CTK).

6)  Stay away from Tcl if you can.    :-)