[Insight-users] Supervised pixel classification using ITK

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 04:24:12 EST 2011

Hi Insight Users,

I have an image segmentation problem for which I feel supervised pixel
classification could be useful. I want to investigate these methods
further.

What does ITK provide in the way of supervised pixel classification?

So far I have experimented with ImageClassifierBase with
ImageGaussianModelEstimator + MahalanobisDistanceMembershipFunction +
MinimumDecisionRule.

Are there any examples employing ANN for classification using
ImageClassifierBase?

I notice Orfeo Toolbox (based on ITK) has some nice supervised
classification methods here
    http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/file/066c26b923c7/Code/Learning
like
    http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/file/066c26b923c7/Code/Learning/otbSVMImageClassificationFilter.h
    http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/file/066c26b923c7/Code/Learning/otbSOMImageClassificationFilter.h
but these are under a GPL-like license (I need to deploy the solutions
in a commercial product).

Are there any similar classification methods in ITK (under free-er
Apache/MIT/BSD license)?

Thanks for any advice/pointers.

Cheers, Dan