[Insight-users] About the MultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter's function GetHessianOutput()

Wang Zhimin zwang at i2r.a-star.edu.sg
Fri Feb 25 03:21:03 EST 2011

Dear all,

I am a newbie to ITK. I currently want to compute the hessian matrix, eigen vector out of some volume CT images. I found that I can use itk::MultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter, or itk::HessianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter plus itk::SymmetricEigenAnalysis and SymmetricSecondRankTensor image iterator to finish the job. Am I right?

For the itk::MultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter, I understand that I can turn the GenerateHessianOutputOn() function to compute the Hessian image and use GetHessianOutput() to get the SymmetricSecondRankTensor image. Is this a correct procedure? If yes, so here comes my question. Since the multi scale hessian filter is multi scale, if I use GetHessianOutput() function, what scale is the Hessian output of?

Suppose my volume image dimension is 3, how can I access all the values in Hessian matrix? Can I use H[][] to access all 9 values? Or I can only access 6 and I need to fill up all the rest based on symmetric rule?

For my second option, from HessianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter -> SymmetricSecondRankTensor image -> SymmetricEigenAnalysis -> eigen vector, will it work as predicted?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you and best regards,
Zhimin

Research Fellow
Institute for Infocomm Research
A-STAR, Singapore

Institute for Infocomm Research disclaimer:  "This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately. Please do not copy or use it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you."