[Insight-users] Shape-based interpolation question

Xiaofeng Z xf10036 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:07:09 EST 2011

I'm attaching a diagram to illustrate what I mean.

Can anyone help with suggestions please!

Can anyone suggest an algorithm to interpolate/extrapolate ROI based on a set of contours?

I'm
 trying to understand how a volume is computed in a radiotherapy
treatment planning system.  The vendor's documentation states that
shape-based interpolation is used to construct 3D volume from a stack of
 2D contours.  Specifically, a distance map based interpolation is used.

What
 I don't quite understand is the way they cap off the two ends of the
contour stack to obtain a rounded ends of the volume.  With this rounded
 ends, the volume of a box of demension 4cm x 4cm x 3cm (3 slices of 4cm
 x 4cm contour) was computed to be 40 cm^3.

I'm not aware of any
robust algorithm can be used to create a rounded ends to a stack of say
square contours of the same size and location.  I'd appreciate if anyone
 can provide suggestions?

Thanks!
Xiaofeng Zhao