[Insight-users] large shearing deformation of soft tissue

Dawood Masslawi masslawi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:31:36 EST 2011

Dear Tim,
The B-Spline deformable registration has an extensive capability when
it comes to compensating for nonlinear deformations. Using different
settings can certainly improve the results, you can increase the number
of grid nodes or use different optimization settings to gain better
registration quality. However, if you won't use the B-Spline based
registration other options are also available in ITK, like kernel
transformation based registration, Finite Element based registration,
Demons algorithm based registration, etc. You can find examples of
these methods in the registration folder of the ITK's examples
directory.
Best regards,
Dawood Almasslawi

Hello all,

I am trying to quantify the amount of tissue deformation using "before and
after deformation" MR images (a series of 2D slices). However, there is a
significant amount of shearing in the deformation process which from what
I've read can be difficult to analyze. A previous colleague used a B-spline
deformable transform/registration algorithm in ITK and employed Mattes
Mutual Information, but his deformations were with much less (almost none)
shearing.

Is there anyone that could point me towards appropriate coding for this, or
suggest an alternative for measuring this deformation?

Many thanks.

--
Tim Bhatnagar