[Insight-users] ITK :read PET image

Dawood Masslawi masslawi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 09:32:35 EST 2011

Hi Yuzhihao,
It seems to me that you don't need to rewrite the GDCM headers, what you need is access
to the PET image information and its DICOM header. If you want to create an image based
on the Standard Uptake Value (SUV) you can use the GDCM reader for reading the PET
image information and the GDCM writer to write the new image. The SUV related
information (e.g. radioactivity concentration, injected dose, body weight) should be included
in the DICOM header which can be accessed using the GDCM IO library, a simple example
is included in the examples directory of the ITK,
(Examples/IO/DicomImageReadPrintTags.cxx).
To write the SUV image it is best to identify a Region or Volume of Interest (VOI, ROI) then
compute the SUV for that region, however you can use the image iterators in ITK to get
access to each pixel and perform IO operations as you need. Also you can use the
image iterators to write the SUV image. The "iterators" folder in the examples directory of
the ITK contains number of examples on image iterators.
Best regards,
Dawood