[Insight-users] segmentation of elongated objects

Dawood Masslawi masslawi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 08:53:10 EST 2011

Hi Prathamesh,
Depending on your images and their properties simpler methods like
watershed segmentation can give good results. However, Complex shapes
with large amount of intensity difference need more advanced approaches.
Using the geodesic active contour with a priori you can incorporate
the information you have about the image into the segmentation process.
You can refer to the software guide (chapter 9) and the examples in the
ITK (examples\segmentation) to get more information about this method.
Regards,
Dawood

Hello all,

I am involved in designing segmentation methods for images which have
elongated surfaces touching each other. Currently I am trying to use Level
Sets for segmentation. What kind of level set function could be suggested in
this case?

Also, since I know in advance that height of the objects is very small
compared to their width, is there a way to incorporate this knowledge using
level sets? What other methods could be suggested for such a segmentation?

Thanks,
Prathamesh