[Insight-users] FFT Confusion

Matt McCormick matt at mmmccormick.com
Mon Jan 24 23:28:17 EST 2011

Hi David,

> VnlFFTRealToComplexConjugateImageFilter
>
> Am I interpreting the name correctly by:
>
> It takes a "Real" valued image and produces the "ComplexConjugate" of
> the FFT as the output? If that is correct, is there instead a way to
> produce the "normal" FFT (instead of the conjugate)? Or is there an
> easy way to take the conjugate of a complex valued image?

This is the "normal" FFT -- a real image produces a complex image, but there is
complex conjugate symmetry of the first half of the transform because

sin(-x) = - sin(x) (odd)
cos(-x) = cos(x)   (even)

exp(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x)

This complex conjugate symmetry is sometimes called Hermitian symmetry, but I
have been told that is an incorrect term.

Regards,
Matt