[Insight-users] Naively/smoothly interpolating a hole in a grayscale image

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 09:18:49 EDT 2011

Hello David,
      The problem you are referring to is called "inpainting". Theres
plenty of algorithms available to do that, from the 2000s when the
term was first introduced. They success mostly depends on the type of
image you have. There is a family of algorithms intended for heavily
textured images (See Efros and Leung for a starter), and another one
that works well with images that have some geometric structure. (see
Bertalmio et al for that).
Recently some inpainting code was submitted to the IJ, I think an
implementation of a paper by Criminisi et al.
Apart from ITK, there are plenty of implementations that can be
downloaded from the web.
I hope this helps.
Best regards,
                  Juan