[Insight-users] Problems with SparseImage

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:24:53 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:19 AM, hanifa mohamed
<hanifa_email at yahoo.com.sg>wrote:

> Hi,
>
>       I was intending to use SparseImages in ITK. However, its been hard
> frustrating search. Firstly, the ITK doc makes no mention of it in the
> entire pdf. After some searching, I found a source in the
> InsightToolkit-3.14.0/Testing/Code/Common/itkSparseImageTest.cxx.
>
> However, it seems that it is not possible to interchangabily use
> SparseImages and normal itk::Images.
> I tried writing a SparseImage via FileWriter and also tried running some
> filters on them. But it spits out countless errors.
>
> I have slightly modified the itkSparseImage.cxx to illustrate that point. I
> have attached that source code in this post. Pls run it and suggest if there
> any changes I can make.
>

> My Questions : 1) Does ITK discourage the use of itk::SparseImage cos it
> has some inherent deficiencies ? There doesnt seem to be any documentation
> on it.
>                        2) Is it possible to use SparseImages like normal
> itk::Images. Like I/O operations or usage of common filters. I saw there is
> only one filter,FiniteDifferenceSparseImageFilter which looks like
> specifically written for SparseImages.
>
>                        3) If the itk::SparseImage is not able to do the
> above, are there any alternatives ???
>
> Even after countless googling, the online community didnt yield any
> concrete answers ?
>
> Thanks for the help folks.

It was not clear from the documentation what the requirements for the
NodeType class were. Does this help at all?

http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,2069

I encourage you to add anything else you've learned about itk::SparseImage
to that documentation if it isn't already included.

David